Please note, somehow gremlins crept in and the incorrect notice was sent on Friday.
Apologies, this is the correct version of the notice
Dear Fellow SAAFoST Members
The dramatic events that occurred last week in our country highlighted how vulnerable food security and food safety is for all of our people. I think that even the looters and organizers of the unrest would not have foreseen how severe the knock-on effect of the disruptions would be to the steady and sure supply of basic foodstuffs to people in the affected areas. It's an understatement to say that the way that ordinary South Africans have banded together and helped one another is heartening. It's amazing and reaffirms so many of the good things about South Africa and South Africans. From SAAFoST, our thoughts are with everybody that has been affected.
Where possible help people in your areas, and if it is possible for you to donate to one of the many charities that are assisting needy families, there are many that would be very grateful, Gift of the Givers, Aryan Benevolent Home, The Benjamin Generation, City Hope Disaster Relief, The Africa Muslim Agency, Love Howick, Rays of Hope, iThemba Lethu, Rebuild SA, PACT, The Sunrise Helpers Foundation are examples of such organizations.
YouTube Clip about Gift of the Givers
YouTube Clip about Rebuild SA
Remember, apropos food safety in the home, make sure that you, your friends and your family use the best practices to ensure that nobody gets ill due to the food that they have.
- Wash hands before food preparation and repeat frequently during cooking. Remind everyone to wash their hands before eating.
- Keep food preparation areas and utensils clean.
- Separate cooked and raw foods. Don't use the raw food utensils for cooked foods. Cooked foods have been sterilized (at least partially, while raw foods have a higher microbial load).
- Cook and / or reheat adequately -foods need to get hot (>75°C) and stay hot until serving.
- Eat foods as soon after preparation as possible.
- Chill leftovers in closed containers as soon as possible (refrigerators should be <5°C).
South Africa Association for Food Science and Technology
Email Address: Susan@saafost.org.za
Phone Number: 082 807 5627
Food security: (World Health Assembly): Food security exists when all people, at all times, have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food that meets their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life.